Thursday, December 21, 2006

Thrifting

Salvation Army - December 2006

I can remember the first time I walked into a thrift store. It was on Archer Avenue near Marquette Park and I think I was 16 years old (circa 1979). I've been hooked on picking ever since.


The characters that took me thrifting the first time were a gorgeous brother and sister team. They were a few years older - 17 and 19 maybe - and reminded me so much of Cocteau's Enfants Terribles. They were buying costumes for a play.


I found a perfect pair of yellow and white striped Sulka silk pajamas and a huge, Harris Tweed coat for fifty cents. It was a revelation that one could acquire that much authentic 1930's glamour for one dollar.

Of course - those were the old days - when the babushkas were the only people caught dead in the thrifts. They only wanted the red polyester pant suits (wash and wear) leaving all the 1949 hollywood pleated waistline pants to us.


So this was my acquisition from the last excursion into the land of cast-off toys. He's been lighting my evenings with bejeweled cheer. I'm calling this illuminated, injected-molded, 40 inch, myrh-givin' beauty "Gaspar" because it sounds like breathing. He was $4.20 with working lightbulb.

I have resisted traditional Christmas decorations for a couple of years so Gaspar is a big step. Remember - it's not cool if it's actually on the lawn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh, weren't the old days great for thrift shops? Miss those days....